Wednesday 9 December 2015

Sandra Armstrong - an active and valued historian

Sandra Armstrong- immersed in history
After graduating with a Psychology degree from the University of New England in 2002, Sandra Armstrong turned her attention to one of her most loved hobbies, family and local history, and received her Master’s Degree in History. “One of my projects for that degree was the Aboriginal Mission on Fraser Island (Bogimbah Mission) and I became immersed in the subject, deciding it needed much more attention than that required for a Master’s Degree.” she claims. After exploring the subject of the mission and its contrasting management, and writing her dissertation, she received her doctorate in 2011.

Dr Armstrong has been active in the field of local and family history since 1992 and has held many positions including that of Secretary, Vice President and President of the local Family History Society at a time of great progress and activity.

 “I have  been a guest lecturer on the Bogimbah Mission in many organisations and at the University of Southern Queensland where I tutored, lectured and supervised Master’s students before I retired to enjoy my many hobbies” she continued. 

“I am now mostly involved in the local history of Maryborough and I have led the fight to list the Original Township Site on the Queensland Heritage Register, a fight that was successful in October, 2015. I continue to engage with the local community with my many interests and I take regular breaks to spoil my grandchildren and support my family in their lives” she says enthusiastically. “I can’t envisage a time when I would not be part of an active historical focus in Maryborough, talking and attending the many Lunchtime History Talks at the Maryborough Library and continuing to fight to preserve what is precious to local history.” I do not think this community could either.

Her PHD thesis The Failure of Noble Sentiments: Bogimbah Mission on Fraser Island is in the Local History vertical files at Maryborough library.
Published with consent from Sandra Armstrong


Tags: #Maryborough #Frasercoastlibraries #Bogimbahmission #Fraserisland #Familyhistorysociety

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome woman Sandra is - such an outstandingly valuable member of the community contributing to the extremely rich and mutilayered web of local history for Maryborough and nearby communities.

Thank you Sandra!

Anonymous said...

The research Sandra has done is amazing and contributes lots of previously unknown information to this story.